Ball crunches is a fun, perfect and easy way to strengthen your abs and it is a really effective exercise for targeting the rectus abdominis (the abs) as well as circulating your back muscles.All you need for your ball crunches is an exercise ball and your own body, as well as happy determination. You can choose to perform the ball crunch at the gym, at home or maybe on the beach on vacation times.
What makes this ball crunch exercise a bit more effective than crunches on the floor is that you involve the entire body to help stabilize you throughout the movement and do not need to strain your legs as they only help stabilizing the workout. The ball crunches make you have to balance your body and work functionally with your core strength. When performing ball crunches you can really focus on your abs and perform a more concentrated workout.
HOW TO DO BALL CRUNCHES
- Sit in upright position on the ball with your feet on the floor. Walk with your feet forward so the ball is positioned the body hip spine. Tighten up and raise hips slightly so you get a position parallel to the floor. Keep your hips stationary.
- Place your hands over the chest or behind your head, just the way you find most comfortable. The head should be in a neutral position and focus your eyes up on the ceiling.
- Rise up with your chin and lift your chest off the ball towards the ceiling. Contract your abs and concentrate on the actual muscle to make an effective ball crunch move. Lift up to a 40-45 degree position. Stop for a controlled move. Remember to keep your head and back in a neutral position.The lower back should always stay in contact with the ball all through the exercise.
- As you curl up, balance your body, keep the ball stable (i.e., the ball shouldn't roll) and exhale.
- Return to starting position lowering your back down, getting a stretch in the abs, focused and strong. Inhale while going back.
- Be sure to move controlled and not to swing up, the hyperextension and flexion may cause injury. Repeat your ball crunch for 1-3 sets of 10-16 reps. Rest 20-30 seconds between the sets.
CHALLENGEAs you get more advanced and stronger you can hold a weight plate, a kettlebell or a dumbbell on top of your chest. Be a bit careful when adding some weight to the workout of ball crunches. It really must feel right so if you add too much weight too fast you could get injured. Listen to your body.
THE ABSThe abs, short for abdominals, is the muscles that extend from the ribs to the pelvis. The abs provides support and movement of the core as well as assisting your breathing process. This ball crunch exercise mainly work out the abdominals.
THE EQUIPMENT A BALLTo do ball crunches you need a suitable exercise ball. Pick one out that fits your length and color preference. Training with an exercise ball is a good complement to classic training. It provides better balance, better coordination, greater body control, better posture and core stability. This provides you with good capacity to meet the requirements of alternative types of exercising.
WORKOUT YOUR ABS WITH BODYWEIGHTAnother very effective way to work your abs is using Bodyweight. Almost every exercise in the Bodyweight® Training System is engaging the core and abs, but there are specific exercises we recommend.
EXERCISESYou can find o whole lot of exercises on our App, here you can see the Pike exercise, which is a great exercise for your abs!
DOWNLOAD OUR APPThe Bodyweight App contains the most exhaustive and comprehensive bodyweight programs ever created. Over 120 exercises and several programs, the possibility to create your own workout routines - the App has everything you need.
The App provides a robust training solution for anyone at any fitness level ready to take on a serious challenge and experience serious results. Download the App for free from the App Store - click here >>
WHAT'S BODYWEIGHT?Bodyweight® Training System is a training equipment with which you use your own bodyweight as resistance to exercise. Bodyweight® is easily used at home by attaching it to a ceiling mount, or take along for the ride and attach to a hotel door or equally around a tree out on a hiking.
The gear consists of two bands with handles. The handles are made in grooved rubber to improve grip and allows you to perform the exercises more stable. The straps directly above the handles are curved and have room for hands and forearms, which improves mobility and prevents the risk that the bands will abrade the wrists and arms.
Beneath the handle are the foothold. Loops where you place your feet during certain exercises. The footholds are designed so that the feet should lay firmly in the Bodyweight and reduces the risk of your feet slipping away. Bodyweight is easy to adjust to the desired length by a simple motion between exercises.
The gear comes with a practical and stylish backpack that makes it easy to store, and or take, Bodyweight anywhere. Bodyweight takes very little space and has a very low weight!